Welcome to Hometown Taxi
Where do you want to go?
Local and long-distance taxi rides and delivery from Decorah, Iowa.563-382-3155
Payment accepted by cash, check, and credit card in the car and over the phone.
Local Rides and Delivery
- Decorah One way, in town $5.50
- Decorah to Wal-Mart, Freeport, or Decorah Airport One way $6.50
Decorah residents age 60+ can receive $1.50 off per cash ride if they sign up at the Community Action Transit Office, located inside the north entrance to the Smith Building on Montgomery Street in Decorah.
Frequent Rider and Delivery Punch Cards
- 10 Rides One way, in town $45
- 20 Rides One way, in town $90
- 30 Rides One way, in town $135
- 10 Rides, Ages 60+ One way, in town $35
- 20 Rides, Ages 60+ One way, in town $70
- 30 Rides, Ages 60+ One way, in town $105
Long Distance Rides
- Long Distance Rides Regular hours $1.75 / mile
- Late Night Rides Midnight to 6 a.m. $1.75 / mile + $50
- Waiting time Additional charges may apply during inclement weather $25 / hr
Generally, charges are accrued while rider is in the car. Additional passengers are no extra cost. Call 563-382-3155 for exact charges for rides that don’t start or end in Decorah.
Reservations for out of town rides should be made at least 1 day in advance.
Fixed-rate Long Distance Rides
- Decorah to LaCrosse, WI Regular hours $105
- Decorah to Rochester, MN Regular hours $125
- Decorah to MPLS / St. Paul Regular hours $250
After hours and waiting time charges not included in fixed-rate fares. If you need further details about charges, please call the cab during regular hours at 563-382-3155.
Hours of Operation
We're open Monday – Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.; and 24/7 by reservation.
- Monday (during COVID-19) 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Tuesday (during COVID-19) 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Wednesday (during COVID-19) 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Thursday (during COVID-19) 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Friday (during COVID-19) 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Saturday (during COVID-19) 7:30am – 6:30pm
- Sunday No regular hours
- After Hours 24/7 by reservation
After hours rides must be scheduled at least 1 day in advance.
Meet Our Owner-Drivers
Ask our riders — Hometown Taxi drivers have a reputation for courtesy, friendliness, & helpfulness!
Daniel RottoSeptember 1987 – present
Scot IdstromJanuary 1994 – present
Eric PaulsonNovember 2000 – present
Ketel PaulsenAugust 2001 – present
Craig WittSeptember 2007 – present
Heidi Olstad2016 – present
Eric "Lincoln" VanVliet2017 – present
Rodney Quam2021 – present
Gabriel Eide2022 – present
- Steve McCargar: September 1987 – September 1994
- Jon Rotto: September 1987 – 2019
- Daniel Rotto: September 1987 – present
- John Condon: October 1987 – February 1988
- Birgitta Meade: March 1988 – January 1994
- Terri Mozzone Burgman: November 1988 – May 1989
- Bill Musser: June 1989 – December 1991, June – August 2000, June 2003 – May 2006
- Kay Rusk: September 1990 – November 1995
- John Klosterboer: September 1990 – October 2000
- Scott Hervey: September 1990 – February 1992, January 1994 – February 1994
- Beth Hougen: March 1994 – July 1998
- Greg Huang-Dale: August 1998 – May 2003
- Barrett Kepfield: April 2006 – August 2006
- Ian Miller: July 2018 – December 2021
About Hometown Taxi
The Friendliest Cab Service in the Midwest!
Founded in 1987, Hometown Taxi has become one of Decorah’s most popular services.
Our worker-owned partnership was officially formed in September 1987, and the cabs hit the road on the first Monday in October 1987. The first two vehicles were 1979 Honda CVCCs.
Seventeen total partners have worked with the company through the years since 1987.
As fully accredited Medicaid transportation providers, Hometown Taxi drivers are compliant with Iowa state drug testing, criminal history background checks, defensive driving first aid, and passenger assistance training. All together, current drivers have well over 100 years of taxi driving experience.